GrainGrowers celebrates our 60th Anniversary
GrainGrowers’ 60th Anniversary Dinner
Lazy River Estate, Dubbo, October 17
Former GrainGrowers Chairman, John Eastburn reflects on the organisation’s evolution since its earliest days into the strong and independent national representative organisation it is today.
“Thanks to PWA, northern NSW farmers began to receive a premium if their wheat registered over 13 per cent protein.
“This was one of the largest changes that ever happened in the wheat industry and it transformed not only my life as a grower but all growers in northern NSW and beyond.”
This small organisation was to evolve into Grain Growers Limited (GGL), trading as GrainGrowers.
“Today, we are a national grain industry representative organisation with more than 17,000 grain farmer members across Australia. We are firmly established on a stable financial and governance footing enabling us to remain independent of the supply chain and government to act on behalf of grain farmers nationally. We are in a good position to help guide the future of the industry for the benefit of growers. Serving grain growers is stipulated in our Constitution and is in our blood.
“We look to the future with confidence, led by growers and continuing to work for the benefit of growers.”
Mr Eastburn said that GrainGrowers’ 60th Anniversary is being celebrated throughout 2018 with a range of activities designed to reflect GrainGrowers’ pride in its history and in the histories of grain farmers on the land.
Some of the activities include:
- Spirit of Grains children’s competition – see our gallery of finalists.
- New refreshed GrainGrowers website which seeks to build greater engagement with members and celebrates the faces and facets of a modern grain farming industry
- Digital Grain Grower magazine – from the September issue, members will be emailed a link to enable them to view our quarterly magazine as soon as it is published, on any device. Of course, for those who prefer it, the printed magazine will still arrive in the mail.
2019 Calendar photo competition *open now* – be quick closes on 9 November. We’re seeking to celebrate the people who grow grain in our 2019 calendar – as well as the complex operations they perform to produce Australia’s grains crop
- ‘Fields of Gold’ Dinner – held on Friday 15 June at North Star, this successful event celebrated our origins with the descendants of those founding farmers and directors of PWA who fought to have grains segregation introduced so that quality could attract a price premium
- Quality of Australian Wheat research project *now under way* – commissioned by GrainGrowers, the project will seek to determine if Australia is producing the most profitable quality of wheat for its customers, now and into the future.
- 60th Anniversary formal dinner and AGM – held on 17 October in Dubbo – reflecting on our history and the pathways ahead
- Sixty years on, going strong! commemorative booklet -– launched at the dinner on 17 October in Dubbo
- Wheat variety launch – a variety of Prime Hard wheat – Sunprime – was launched in September in recognition of GrainGrowers’ history.